Delegate: Dr. Fernando Alberto Ceballos Fuentes
Affiliations: Guatemalan Association of Sleep Medicine
- Physician and Surgeon, Master in Pediatrics, Master in Pediatric Neurology.
- Honorary Professor “Sleep Medicine Unit” of the Master’s program in Pediatric, Universidad San Carlos de Guatemala.
- Vice-president of the Guatemalan Association of Sleep Medicine.
- Secretary of the Neurological Sciences Association of Guatemala. 2016-2018
- Reference Neurologist Polysomnography Laboratory “Sueño Center”
- Sleep Medicine Clinic Neurologist, Hospital General San Juan de Dios National Reference Center 2017
- Community natural disaster rescuer and collaborator in post-traumatic stress management using quality sleep induction techniques.
- Medical Researcher.
- Private medical office, with practice mostly in “sleep disorders”
- Social communicator
- Delegate for Guatemala of the Asian Pacific Headache Society
- Delegate for Guatemala of the Young Epilepsy Section – International League Against Epilepsy
- Delegate for Guatemala of the “World Sleep Day” since 2018
- Winner of Distinguished Activity Awardees
In strict support to health authorities who direct vigorous efforts to reduce the COVID-19 pandemic contagion, it was decided to carry out a high massive impact strategy disclosure in science and awareness of the importance of sleep throughout aquatic, terrestrial, and even air environments, under the strongest biosafety protocols, accomplishing extraordinary media coverage. The activities were carried out throughout the month of March 2021 (this year marks the 200th anniversary of the Republic of Guatemala’s constitution). The alliances were established with:
- Dra. Junny Briana Recinos Hernandez
- Mrs. Aura Rodas
- Current Pan American gold medalist in Vela Laser sport: Juan Ignacio Maegli.
- Chef Diego Jarquín
- Influencer Nicolas Saravia Vonesh
- Sworn Translator: Jeannette Blanco de Urrea
All activities took place during the month of March, most of them on March 19, 2021. The activities were the following:
- Regatta by the current Pan American gold medalist in Vela Laser sport, the Guatemalan Juan Ignacio Maegli. His sail was printed with the logo and slogan of World Sleep Day 2021.
- A helicopter flew over the country’s capital announcing the message “Happy Sleep Day, Guatemala!” generating multiple opinions on different social networks.
- Constant projection of commemorative messages to World Sleep Day 2021 and its slogan “Regular Sleep, Healthy Future” on 7 different dimension screens – one of them of 33 square meters (355 square feet) – strategically located in places with high vehicular traffic.
- Launch of virtual educational material, “The Healthy Dinner”, with the participation of the renowned Guatemalan chef Diego Jarquín.
- Free virtual medical consultation, benefiting 30 low-income patients suffering from sleep disorders.
- Publication in the most important newspaper in the country, Prensa Libre. Topic: “The Night Worker Chronobiology “, in print throughout the country.
- Participation in TV Show “Viva la Mañana“, theme: “World Sleep Day and Environmental Conditions Favoring a Restful Sleep”, on Guatevisiónchannel, with audience coverage throughout the country.
- Participation in TV Show “Café A.M.,”theme: “World Sleep Day and the Relationship Between Exercise and Sleep,” on TV Azteca Guate channel, with audience coverage throughout the country.
- Participation in TV Show “Noti Express“, theme: “Relationship Between Migraine and Sleep”, on Antigua channel, with audience coverage throughout the country.
- Press conference carried out at the country’s largest and most important hospital, San Juan de Dios Hospital, for the following media: Television – TN23, Telediario, channel 3, channel 7; Radio – Nuevo MundoRadio: theme: “Regular Sleep, Healthy Future”. (Participating television media have national audience coverage throughout the country).
- On-line participation as a lecturer in the III Portuguese Congress of Chronobiology and Sleep Medicine, subject: “Restless Legs Syndrome”
- Participation in TV Show “A las 7:00 PM”, theme: “Importance of Sleep in Life Quality”, on Antigua channel, with audience coverage throughout the country.
- Virtual conferences “Insomnia and the Importance of World Sleep Day” on a zoom platform with the participation of 72 doctors from different specialties. Lectured by Dr. Fernando Ceballos.
- Participation in TV Show “Medical Investigators,” theme: “Role of Melatonin in Sleep”, on Guatevisiónchannel, with audience coverage throughout the country, and replay during primetime the following day.
- Wakeboarding sport exhibition by Guatemalan influencer Nicolas Saravia Vonesh, virtually promoting World Sleep Day and its slogan “Regular Sleep, Healthy Future”.
- Participation in Radio Show “Doctor at Home”, Centroamérica Radio, frequency 1510, theme: “Sleep: A Tool in Preventive Medicine”
Location: Republic of Guatemala
Date of Activity: All activities took place during the month of March, most of them on March 19, 2021.
Submitted By: Fernando Alberto Ceballos Fuentes MD MsC