Delegate: Dr. Fernando Alberto Ceballos Fuentes
Affiliations: Guatemalan Association of Sleep Medicine
• Physician and Surgeon, Master in Pediatrics, Master in Pediatric Neurology.
• Honorary Professor “Sleep Medicine Unit” of the Master’s program in Neurology, Universidad San Carlos de Guatemala.
• Vice-president of the Guatemalan Association of Sleep Medicine.
• Secretary of the Neurological Sciences Association of Guatemala.
• Reference Neurologist Polysomnography Laboratory “Sueño Center”
• Sleep Medicine Clinic Neurologist, Hospital General San Juan de Dios National Reference Center
• Community natural disaster rescuer and collaborator in post-traumatic stress management using quality sleep induction techniques.
• Medical Researcher.
• Private medical office, with practice mostly in “sleep disorders”
• Social communicator
• Delegate for Guatemala of the “World Sleep Day” since 2018
• Winner of Distinguished Activity Awardees
Activity: This year, during the month of March when WSD 2020 is held, alliances were created for its promotion under the motto of PONDERING on the correct management of waste from everyday life, and how these impact on the quality of the environment where we operate, Sleep and have our wakefulness. We REFUSED to make new promotional material; rather, we encouraged the REUSE AND RECYCLING of promotional material from past WSD editions. We had a mainly virtual campaign (non-waste-generating) launched due to the COVID 19 pandemic, consistent with this year’s slogan “Better Sleep, Better Life, Better Planet.” In the strategy, we established that Sleep must be inclusive, so we worked with vulnerable populations (the blind, the deaf, the illiterate, children and indigenous population). We also raised awareness among the academic group and general population through various activities, some of which required modification due to the government’s restrictions that were established as of March 14th due to COVID19 pandemic. The alliances were established with:
• Eco Runner Plogging Guate
• SheCycles Women’s Cycling Team
• Academy of Mayan Languages of Guatemala
• Distinguished Committee for the Blind and Deaf of Guatemala
• Susy Figueroa – Soprano and Music Therapist
• Sworn translator: Mrs. Jeannette Blanco
• Dra. Junny Briana Recinos Hernandez
• Dra. Maria Antonieta Sandoval Vargas
All activities took place during the month of March, most of them on March 13, 2020.
• Educational song. The lyrics of this song are the 10 commandments of children’s sleep hygiene, performed by the Guatemalan soprano and music therapist Susy Figueroa; musical arrangement: Roberto Estrada.
• Official handing over of “The 10 Commandments of Sleep Hygiene for Children” translated for the first time into 21 Mayan languages by the Guatemalan Academy of Mayan Languages. This was a new initiative, since last year we were able only to translate “The 10 Commandments of Sleep Hygiene for Adults”. Both resources are downloadable for free on the Internet.
• Official handing over of “The 10 Commandments of Sleep Hygiene for Children” translated for the first time into 19 Mayan languages by the Guatemalan Academy of Mayan Languages, in AUDIBLE FORMAT
• Uploading of “The 10 Commandments of Sleep Hygiene for Adults in Sign Language” and “The 10 Commandments of Sleep Hygiene for Children in Sign Language” to the YouTube platform. With the acquiescence of the Distinguished Committee of Pro-blind and Deaf of Guatemala, the highest entity in the country that regulates this material.
• Official handing over of 50 copies to the Children’s Rehabilitation Center Zone 10 of “The 10 Commandments of Sleep Hygiene for Children” in Braille system – a new initiative, since last year we were able only to translate “The 10 Commandments of Sleep Hygiene for Adults” into Braille format”.
• Face-to-face press conference at the Kabel Convention Center with the attendance of print journalists, radio stations and national television broadcasters with the theme: Importance of World Sleep Day and its slogan: “Better Sleep, Better Life, Better Planet” chaired by Dr. Fernando Ceballos
• Face-to-face conference held by Dr. Fernando Ceballos “Better Sleep, Better Life, Better Planet” in the auditorium of Dr. Rodolfo Robles Valverde Hospital. Forty-eight assistants who work in the area of pedagogy , speech therapists, psychology and instructors.
• Live broadcast during prime time in FM 92.1 radio studio (broadcasted several times). Theme: “Role of Sleep in the Immune System.”
• Live interview with Dr. Fernando Ceballos in TV Azteca Guatemala studio (national coverage,) during the segment Café AM. Theme: “Classification of Sleep Disorders and the Role of Technology in Sleep”
• Interview with Dr. Fernando Ceballos in Guatevisión recording studio (national coverage). Theme: “Benefits of Good Sleep in Adults and Children.”
• Face-to-face conference with experiential exposition of sleep promoting property plants, held in the Bioterio Auditorium. Speakers: Dr. Armando Cáceres, Dr. Rodrigo Castañeda and Dr. Fernando Ceballos. Themes: “Phytotherapy of Sleep Disorders”, and “Better Sleep, Better Life, Better Planet”. Attendees: 49 people from the area of Chemical Sciences and Pharmacy.
• Face-to-Face conference with Dr. Fernando Ceballos, Kabel Convention Center, 18 medical assistants, various specialties, Theme: “CLN – Importance of Restful Sleep”
• Publication “World Sleep Day: 2020, How well do children rest and how sleep benefits their health.” Opinion leading newspaper in Guatemala – Prensa Libre, virtual format.
• Publication “Achieve a Restful Sleep and Live Better.” Opinion leading newspaper in Guatemala – Prensa Libre, printed format, two pages.
• On-site celebration “World Sleep Day Guatemala 2020” in Géminis Building, with the participation of professionals in the areas of: genetics, respiratory therapy, neurology, psychiatry, dentistry, psychology.
• Publication “Science, Sport, Art and Academies that Promote Good Sleep,” Guatemalan Chamber of Commerce magazine, digital format, Year 1 No 14 page 17.
• Virtual Conference by Zoom App, “Sleep Medicine in Guatemala and Importance of World Sleep Day” (participation of 86 doctors).
• Free medical consultation for sleep disorders in private office for 13 low-income patients.
• 19 trees planted in yards of residences, by invitation via WhatsApp; initiative of “I Plant Trees for World Sleep Day 2020”, which replaces the planting activity of 1,000 trees canceled due to pandemic COVID19
• 130 km accumulated, traveled on training wheels at their homes by the Shecycles team (because the thirteenth edition of WSD is being commemorated). Invitation via social networks. An initiative of “I pedal for World Sleep Day 2020”, which replaces a cycling race towards Patzicía that was canceled due the pandemic COVID19; and the creation of a collage of photos in sleeping position wearing cycling clothing with a zebra design, carried out by the SheCycles team, as influencers, with the purpose of raising awareness of respect for wildlife (said clothing was created to raise awareness of low-prevalence diseases and not for WSD, in accordance with this year’s slogan where the creation of new promotional material was rejected)
• Conference “Sleep as Post-Traumatic Stress Therapy,” addressed to: United Rescue Alliance, canceled due to Pandemic COVID19.
• Garbage collection activity in coordination with Eco Runner Plogging Guate (the plastic garbage collected would have been used to create compressed wedges or shims with recycled material to place under the top-legs and/or middle-legs of the bed that could be used safely by patients suffering from gastroesophageal reflux, hence achieving sleeping in the Semi-Fowler position). Canceled due to pandemic COVID19.
Location: Republic of Guatemala
Date of Activity: All activities took place during the month of March, most of them on March 13, 2020.
Submitted By: Fernando Alberto Ceballos Fuentes MD MsC