Delegate: DR ELENA MAJANO DE CARÍAS
Affiliation: Bernes Medical Sleep and Neurological Center
Short Bio: Dr. Elena Majano / Medical Director of BERNES MEDICAL / Internal Medicine, Neurology & Sleep Medicine Specialist. Studies: Inselspital – Universitätsspital Bern, Switzerland and Instituto de Neurociencias de la Fundación Favaloro, Instituto Privado de Medicina del Sueño Somnos y Centro Neurológico “Dr. Alfredo Thomson” adscrito al Ex Hospital Francés, Buenos Aires, Argentina. She currently directs the first private practice dedicated exclusively to the diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders in El Salvador.
Since 2012: Delegate for El Salvador.
2015: Winner of Distinguished Activity Awardees
2017: Winner of Distinguished Activity Awardees
Since 2012, El Salvador is part of the WSS. Our mission is to promote the Good Sleep and raise awareness about the importance of sleep in all ages of the life, emphasize the importance of their benefits and to warn about the risks of sleep disorders.
Activity: This year, strategic alliances were created for the promotion of WSD 2018, in order to have much more coverage and to raise awareness about sleep disorders. Our allies were:
- Hospital de Diagnostico de El Salvador
- Instituto de Neurociencias del Hospital de Diagnostico de El Salvador.
- Bernes Medical Medicina del Sueño.
- INFRASAL S.A.
- Laboratorio M&D Pharma, División Roche.
- Laboratorios ASOFARMA, El Salvador
This year I had once again the support of Dr. Luis Gonzales, neurologist and neurophysiologist. Who is the pioneer in the realization of the first polysomnography in El Salvador in the decade of the 90. As part of the celebration of World Sleep Day 2018 El Salvador celebrated our traditional: “La Semana del Buen Dormir 2018” (The Week of Good Sleep 2018) with a series of activities were carried out, which are detailed below:
- During ¨La Semana Del Buen Dormir 2018¨ (12th to 17th March 2018) in my private sleep lab, three patients with sleep disorder: OSA and economically disadvantaged benefited with specialist consultation and sleep study for free.
- On Friday, March 16th. The first WSD 2018 conference was held with the participation of different medical specialties. Location: Private room in a Restaurant in San Salvador.
- Assistants: 43 doctors
- Key topics: The reason for the slogan of this 2018, sleep hygiene and circadian rhythms
- As it has been tradition since 2012, The Bernes Medical Banner for WSD 2018 and our ¨Chocolate of good sleep 2018¨ were designed, the last one as a souvenir to each of the media (radio and television program) that allow us to spread nationally the celebration Of WSD 2018
- Television programs: ¨Viva La Mañana¨, ¨Salud TV¨, with a big national audience ratings were visited to promote WSD 2018.
- Scientifics conferences on continuing medical education held to celebrate WDS 2018.
In this 4-hour event the following topics were discussed: relevance of the WSD, the importance of circadian rhythms, the importance of Sleep Hygiene, insomnia: definition, classification and treatment update
- Assistants: 87 doctors
- Location: Crowne Plaza Hotel, San Salvador, El Salvador.
Location: San Salvador, El Salvador. C.A.
Date: From 12th to 17th March 2018
Submitted by: Dr. Elena Majano