Delegate: Khosro Sadeghniiat Haghighi
Affiliations: Occupational Sleep Research Center, Baharloo hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences
To celebrate the World Sleep Day 2016 and increase public awareness about sleep disorders, a press conference was organized with the main local media. The press conference was held in Center for Neurological diseases Research, Imam Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
Dr. Khosro Sadeghniiat Haghighi, Dr. Amin Amali, and Dr. Zahra Banafsheh Alemohammad, directive board members of Iranian Sleep Medicine Society delivered speeches regarding sleep disorders. They talked about following topics:
• Normal sleep
• Importance of sleep hygiene and good sleep on every day health and productivity
• Complications of poor sleep quality on quality of life and workplace productivity
• Shift work associated sleep problems in the modern societies
• Symptoms, signs, and different treatments of sleep apnea
Current fellows of sleep medicine at Baharloo sleep clinic, Tehran University of Medical Sciences also talked about sleep associated disorders and their different preventive and therapeutic strategies. Dr. Reihaneh Heidari, Dr. Arezu Najafi, and Dr. Ramin Niafar, fellows of sleep medicine, shared following learning points with the media:
• Importance of complete medical evaluation by a qualified trained physician in the case of having a sleep problem
• Sleepiness and its associated traffic accidents
• Importance of screening and treatment of sleep apnea in drivers
• Jet lag and how to overcome the associated symptoms
• Different parasomnias and therapeutic approaches
Dr. Farzaneh Chavoshi and Dr. Mojahedeh Salmani, recently graduated fellows of sleep medicine, also collaborated in providing a toolkit for the media to be presented for the public aiming increasing community’s awareness about sleep disorders.
The World Sleep Day 2016 was also celebrated at Baharloo sleep clinic with the attending sleep technicians of Baharloo and Imam Hospitals. Educational slides regarding good sleep were presented and a lecture was held by the director of both clinics, Dr. Khosro Sadeghniiat Haghighi.
Press released links (in Persian):
Location: Tehran, Iran
Submitted by: Arezu Najafi
Short Bio: Dr. Khosro Sadeghniiat Haghighi is an occupational medicine specialist completed an educational course regarding sleep medicine in University of Toronto. He promoted sleep medicine in Iran in collaboration with Iranian Sleep Medicine Society. He established two sleep clinics at Tehran University of Medical Sciences (Baharloo Sleep clinic and Imam Sleep Lab) about 10 years ago. He is also director of Occupational Sleep Research Center established in 2013 at Baharloo Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences and Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Sleep Sciences.