Delegate: Philips Respironics India
Affiliations: Philips India Ltd
We, at Philips Sleep and Respiratory Care, look at World Sleep Day, as an opportunity to raise awareness and drive home the importance of sound sleep. This year too we took up the mantle and carried out a comprehensive campaign towards the cause.
India is a country with a prevalence of 4% to 13% for Obstructive Sleep Apnea with the awareness levels, about the condition and its detrimental effects on our health, very low. Hence the objective of all our activities was driving awareness.
The activities undertaken by us were as follows:
- Sleep Camps: 13 sleep camps organized across 13 different Indian cities including Delhi, Pune, Chandigarh to name a few. Sleep Camps are a day long activity wherein patients get free consultation on Sleep related disorders. Information brochures are distributed in local languages to promote a better understanding of the disorder. This activity encouraged awareness on Sleep disorders and the necessity of visiting Sleep labs and seeking medical attention for a healthy and Sound Sleep
- Radio: Popular radio channels engaged in 5 cities (Chandigarh, Pune, Lucknow, Kolkata, Coimbatore) wherein the symptoms of Sleep Apnea and the importance of sound sleep was communicated in a manner relatable to the local people in their local languages. It was an 8 day campaign in each city with the total listenership of these channels covering a population of 4 crore people
- Regional TV channels across 4 cities (Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore) on their respective healthcare shows, aired a complete segment on Sleep Apnea and Sound Sleep with viewers dialing in to ask questions on their problems. Total viewership comprising of about 4 lac people. Video, What Is Sleep Apnea? Causes, Risk Factors, and Effects | News7Tamil
- Roadblocks were aired on 3 of India’s national channels for 1 day each wherein awareness messages on Sleep Apnea and Sound Sleep were communicated on repeat garnering a total of about 90 lac impressions
- Print Media: Lots of major dailies and bloggers across the country featured Philips World Sleep Day Initiatives in their publications. Citing a few links herein:
- A Print Ad in the National Daily- Mint was also issued as part World Sleep Day awareness initiative which garnered a readership of 1.38 lacs
The activities spanned a total of three weeks beginning from a week before World Sleep Day and continuing till the end of March
Philips Respironics also announced its launch of Centre of Excellence-a training platform for doctors on diagnosis and treatment of sleep associated disordered breathing, this World Sleep Day. By proving certified training, the Centre will encourage doctors to confidently handle sleep disorders across major cities in India.
Location: India-14 Indian cities
Date: 11th-31st March
Submitted by: Dr Sneha Singh
Short Bio: Philips Respironics is a global leader in Sleep and Respiratory Care. Philips has been consistently working towards raising awareness of sleep disorders and providing sleep-related solutions in India through a holistic approach.