Delegate: Fernando Alberto Ceballos Fuentes MD MsC
Affiliations: Guatemalan Association of Sleep Medicine
Short Bio: Physician and Surgeon, Master in Pediatrics, Master in Pediatric Neurology.
· Honorary Professor “Sleep Medicine Unit” of the program in the Master’s Degree in Neurology, San Carlos de Guatemala Universidad (USAC).
· Vice-president of the Guatemalan Association of Sleep Medicine.
· Secretary of the Neurological Sciences Association of Guatemala.
· Reference Neurologist, Polysomnography Laboratory “Sueño Center”
· Neurologist of Sleep Medicine Clinic, in National Reference Center – San Juan de Dios General Hospital, 2017
· Community rescuer of natural catastrophes and collaborator in post-traumatic stress management using quality sleep induction techniques.
· Medical Researcher.
· Private medical office, mainly with practice on “sleep disorders”
· Social communicator
· Delegate for Guatemala of “World Sleep Day” since 2018
Activity: This year, strategic alliances were created for the promotion of WSD 2019, in order to be inclusive, to generate an effective impact through artistic and media tools, promoting preventive sleep medicine in the general population as well as increasing the scope in the medical community of different specialties with emphasis on the slogan “Healthy Sleep, Healthy Aging” Our allies were:
• Academia de Lenguas Mayas de Guatemala (Academy of Mayan Languages of Guatemala)
• Benemérito Comité de Pro Ciegos y Sordos de Guatemala (Distinguished Committee of the Blind and Deaf of Guatemala)
• Superior School of Visual Arts USAC
• Soprano : Susy de Dubois
· Mrs. Aura Rodas
• Photographer : Werner Jegerlehner
• Dr. Luis Moya Barquín
· Sworn Translator: Jeannette Blanco de Urrea
All activities were developed during March, most of them on March 15th, except for the commemorative song “Dormir Bien” (“Sleep Well”) which was uploaded to the network by YouTube late in February.
· Commemorative song that compiles the 11 previous WSD slogans and the WSD 2019 slogan “Healthy Sleep, Healthy Aging” interpreted by the Guatemalan soprano Susy Figueroa de Dubois, musical arrangement: Roberto Estrada. With more than 1,580 views for the writing of this report. In English language.
· Official delivery of “The 10 commandments of sleep hygiene for adults” translated into 21 Mayan languages by the Academy of Mayan Languages of Guatemala. This material was delivered in various activities where the predominant language is not Spanish.
· Call for a painting contest at the School of Visual Arts of the San Carlos of Guatemala University. Theme: “Sleeping with Guatemalan Identity.” The best work was: Estuardo López González.
· Keynote address “Sleep Medicine and Importance of World Sleep Day” for medical doctors who attend the programs of: Master’s Degree in Adult Neurology, Pediatric Neurology, Neurophysiology and Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, at the Neuroscience Auditorium, San Juan de Dios General Hospital. (The attendees were 16 doctors and 4 psychology students.)
· Keynote address “Healthy Sleep, Healthy Aging” to community residents of the department of Totonicapán; at the communal meeting room. Part of the conference was simultaneously translated into the Quiche language. (Attendees: 725 people).
· Broadcast on FM Radio 92.1 University Radio, “Destructive and healthy habits in sleeping”. This radio program was broadcast several times.
· Keynote speech “Healthy Sleep, Healthy Aging” at Dr. Rodolfo Robles Valverde Eye and Ear Hospital auditorium. This activity was translated into sign language for 21 attendees with deafness problems. Additionally, the “10 Commandments of Sleep Hygiene for adults” was delivered in Braille format to 73 assistants with blindness; such material was handled together with Benemérito Comité de Pro Ciegos y Sordos de Guatemala.
· Prime time live broadcast on state radio TGW 107.3 (with repeater stations throughout the country). Theme: “Benefits of sleeping well and habits that help to achieve it.”
o Restless Legs Syndrome (Dr. Fernando Ceballos – Neurologist)
o Anxiety and Sleep (Dr. Roberto Martinez – Psychiatrist)
o Importance of World Sleep Day (Dr. Fernando Ceballos – Neurologist)
With the participation of professionals in areas of: genetics, otorhinolaryngology, gynecology, respiratory therapy, neurology, psychiatry, geriatrics, dentistry, psychology. At “Kabel” Convention Center (Attendees: 18 doctors and 4 health-related professionals.)
· Keynote speech: “Sleep Medicine”. Postgraduate of Internal Medicine, Francisco Marroquín University, at La Esperanza University Hospital Auditorium (Attendees: 19 medical doctors.)
· Family Hike, 1 km in ecological trail
· Publication: “”World Sleep Day: 10 steps to sleep well and maintain a comprehensive health” published by the largest circulation national newspaper “Prensa Libre”. It was the most shared publication on Facebook on March 15th.
· Keynote speech: “Sleep Medicine in Guatemala and the Importance of World Sleep Day,” at Infasa auditorium (participation of 54 doctors).
· Celebration of “World Sleep Day Guatemala 2019” in “Geminis” building, with the participation of professionals in the area of: genetics, otorhinolaryngology, respiratory therapy, neurology, psychiatry, geriatrics, dentistry, psychology and nutrition.
· Discussion and analysis of: “Sleep Quality in Work Performance” at University Amphitheater of Basic Sciences of USAC (participants: 170 doctors from the last year of the Master’s Degree on: pediatrics, surgery, gynecology, traumatology, psychiatry, internal medicine, physical therapy and rehabilitation and other medical specialties.)
· Free medical consultation of sleep disorders in private practice to 12 patients with limited resources.
· Discussion and analysis of: “Sleep Quality in Work Performance” at IGSS Auditorium (participants: 90 doctors from the last year of the Master’s Degree on: pediatrics, surgery, gynecology, traumatology, psychiatry, internal medicine and other medical specialties.)
Submitted by: Fernando Alberto Ceballos Fuentes MD MsC