Delegate: DR ELENA MAJANO DE CARÍAS
Affiliation: Bernes Medical Sleep and Neurological Center
Activity: Since 2012, El Salvador is part of the WSS. Our mission is to promote a Good Sleep and raise awareness about the importance of sleep in all ages of the life, emphasize the importance of their benefits and to warn about the risks of sleep disorders.
WSD 2017 activities:
This year, strategic alliances were created for the promotion of WSD 2017, in order to have much more coverage and to raise awareness about sleep disorders.
Our allies were:
- Hospital de Diagnostico de El Salvador
- Instituto de Neurociencias del Hospital de Diagnostico de El Salvador.
- Colegio Médico de El Salvador.
- Bernes Medical Medicina del Sueño.
- INFRASAL S.A.
- Laboratorio M&D Pharma, División Roche.
This year I had the support of Dr. Luis Gonzales, neurologist and neurophysiologist. Who is the pioneer in the realization of the first polysomnography in El Salvador in the decade of the 90. Dr. Gonzalez was a ¨key piece¨ to give much more enhancement to the promotion of the WSD 2017. As part of the celebration of World Sleep Day 2017 El Salvador celebrated our traditional: “La Semana del Buen Dormir 2017” (The Week of Good Sleep 2017) with a series of activities were carried out, which are detailed below:
- During ¨La Semana Del Buen Dormir¨ (10th to 25th March 2017) in my private sleep lab, five patients with sleep disorder: OSA and economically disadvantaged benefited with specialist consultation and sleep study for free.
- On Friday, March 10th. The first WSD 2017 conference was held with Psychiatrists, Residents and Medical Students attended.
Place: Hospital Nacional Psiquiátrico “Dr. José Molina Martínez”, Soyapando, El Salvador.
- To complement each of the conferences scheduled to celebrate the WSD 2017, an original video was made with important topics to highlight. The informative content of the video comes from the statistics of the WSD: media toolkit 2017. Día mundial Del Sueño 2017 – YouTube
- As it has been tradition since 2012, the Bernes Medical banner for WSD 2017 and our ¨Chocolate of good sleep 2017¨ were designed, the last one as a souvenir to each of the media (radio and television program) that allow us to spread nationally the celebration Of WSD 2017
- Five television programs: ¨Viva La Mañana¨, ¨Salud TV¨, ¨Doctor 33¨, ¨Hola El Salvador¨ and ¨De Mujer a Mujer¨ with a big national audience ratings were visited to promote WSD 2017 and the two main activities that took place during The Week of Good Sleep 2017. Radio coverage was also made, with good ratings of audience and interactive participation of the population (radio 102.nueve FM and Radio Fuego: Pencho and Aida program)
- As it is tradition since 2012, two articles were written about the WSD 2017, in one of the newspapers of greater national diffusion. Many digital platforms gave us space to talk about the subject.
- Article: Sleep well seems to be a health solution http://www.laprensagrafica.com/2017/03/26/dormir-bien-parece-ser-una-solucion-de-salud
- Article: World Sleep Day http://vidasana.sv/dia-mundial-del-sueno/
- Article: World Sleep Day invites “deep sleep” http://www.elmetropolitanodigital.com/2017/03/dia-mundial-del-sueno-invita-a-dormir-profundo/
- Video/News: World Dream Day
7. Our two major activities for the WSD 2017 were the following (both events were totally free):
- On Saturday, March 18, a 5-hour medical conferences were held, with the support of the Medical College of El Salvador (Colegio Médico de El Salvador), addressed to medical colleagues. Key issues of the WSD 2017 and general concepts of sleep medicine were obviated with great acceptance.
Assistants: 175 doctors.
- On Saturday 25th March, the II Sleep Conservatory (II Conversatorio de Medicina del Sueño) took place at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in San Salvador.
In this 5-hour event, topics were discussed about sleep medicine disorders an WSD 2017.
- This event was aimed at patients and the public in general, with excellent results. Assistants: 112 people.
Location: San Salvador, El Salvador. C.A.
Date: From 10th to 25th March 2017
Submitted by: Dr. Elena Majano.
Short Bio: Dr. Elena Majano is the medical director of BERNES MEDICAL for the area of Neurology & Sleep Medicine.
Studies: Internist, Neurologist and Sleep Medicine Specialist, with studies in Bern, Switzerland and Buenos Aires, Argentina. She currently directs the first private practice dedicated exclusively to the diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders in El Salvador.
Since 2012: Delegate for El Salvador.
2015: Winner of Distinguished Activity Awardees
Since 2016: Regional Coordinator for Central America and The Caribbean.