Delegate: Elena Maricela Majano MD
Affiliation: Bernes Medical Sleep and Neurological Private Center
Short Bio: Dr. Elena Majano / Medical Director of BERNES MEDICAL / Internal Medicine, Neurology & Sleep Medicine Specialist.
Studies: Inselspital – Universitätsspital Bern, Switzerland and Instituto de Neurociencias de la Fundación Favaloro, Instituto Privado de Medicina del Sueño Somnos y Centro Neurológico “Dr. Alfredo Thomson” adscrito al Ex Hospital Francés, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
She currently directs the first private practice dedicated exclusively to the diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders in El Salvador.
Since 2012: Delegate for El Salvador.
2015: Winner of Distinguished Activity Awardees
2017: Winner of Distinguished Activity Awardees
2018: Winner of Distinguished Activity Awardees
Since 2012, El Salvador is part of the WSS. Our mission is to promote the Good Sleep and raise awareness about the importance of sleep in all ages of the life, emphasize the importance of their benefits and to warn about the risks of sleep disorders.
This year, strategic alliances were created for the promotion of WSD 2019, in order to have much more coverage and to raise awareness about sleep disorders. Our allies were:
1. Instituto de Neurociencias del Hospital de Diagnostico de El Salvador.
2. Bernes Medical Medicina del Sueño.
3. INFRASAL S.A.
4. Laboratorio Eurofarma, El Salvador
5. Espumar Company
6. Laboratorios ASOFARMA, El Salvador
This year I had once again the support of Dr. Luis Gonzales, neurologist and neurophysiologist. Who is the pioneer in the realization of the first polysomnography in El Salvador.
During our ¨La Semana Del Buen Dormir 2019¨ (The Good Sleep Week 2019) form 9th to 15th March 2019:
· In my private sleep lab, as a tradition three patients with SAHS and economically disadvantaged benefited with specialist consultation and sleep study for free.
· On saturday, March 9th. The first WSD 2019 conference was held with the participation of Medical College of El Salvador.
Assistants: 93 doctors
Key topics: World Sleep Day 2019 content, insomnia, dementia and SAHS in elderly people
· As it has been tradition since 2012, The Bernes Medical Banner for WSD 2019 and our ¨Chocolate of good sleep 2019¨ were designed, the last one as a souvenir to thanks each media (radio and television program) that allow us to spread nationally the celebration of WSD 2019.
· This year a button and pen were designed alluding to World Sleep Day 2019
· Television programs: ¨Salud TV¨, “Tu Mañana” and “De Mujer a Mujer” with a big national audience rating were visited to promote WSD 2019.
· An article was written to highlight the importance of WSD 2019, in one of the two most important newspapers in the country.
· The final and closing activity of the WSD 2019 activities took place in San Salvador on Friday, March 15th, a conference/dinner event with the participation of doctors from various specialties. In this conference, I talked about the relevance and the meaning of the 2019 WSD slogan, the importance of good sleep habits to achieve a healthy sleep in all stages of life and thus be able to achieve an aging by enjoying a good night’s sleep
Location: San Salvador, El Salvador. Central America.
Date of Activity: March 9 to March 15 2019
Submitted By: Elena Maricela Majano MD